Adding a New Explanation Code
Take the following steps to add a new explanation code:
- Click Options, select Lists, and Explanation Codes... to open the Explanation Codes window.
- Click Add... to open the Add Explanation Code window.
- Enter a nickname for the explanation code in the Nickname box.
- Click to check mark Use with Task Based Billing if your firm uses Tasked Based Billing.
- Enter the full explanation in the Explanation box.
- Enter a G/L Account in the Use G/L Account box if you want to use the task code for Expense entries and associate it to a G/L Account.
- Enter a default Tax category in the Default Tax Category drop-down list if you want to associate the explanation code with a particular tax category.
NOTE: The Default Tax Category box is only available when you enable configure tax settings in System Settings.
- Select one of the following Categorization options:
- All Entries - makes the explanation available for use with all data entry types
- Time Entries - makes the explanation available only for Fee entries
- Expense Entries - makes the explanation available only for Expense entries
- Select one of the following Options:
- Do Not Summarize - never summarizes entries on an invoice with the explanation
- Summarize if No Extra Text - summarizes entries on an invoice with the explanation when you do not enter additional text in the Explanation field in the Data Entry window
- Always Summarize - always summarizes the entries on an invoice with the explanation
- Configure the following options if you enable the Use Quantity X Rate Entries feature in System Settings:
- Use for Quantity X Rate Entries - click to check mark if you want to use the explanation with Quantity X Rate Entries
- Default Rate - enter the default rate for the Quantity X Rate Entries
- Configure the following options if you enable the Mark Up Client Expense feature in System Settings:
- Override Matter's Mark Up % - click to check mark if you want to ignore the matter's mark up percentage when you use the explanation
- Mark Up Rate - enter the new mark up rate to use with the explanation in place of the matter's mark up percentage
- Click OK to return to the Explanation Codes window.
- Repeat steps 2 through 12 to create additional explanation codes.
- Click OK to save your changes and close the window.