Finding Transactions that Result in a Negative Trust Balance
The Show Entries which result in a negative trust balance option on the Client Trust Ledger includes transactions where the trust balance is both negative before and after the transaction. The trust balance is specific to the account that holds the trust funds. It is possible for a matter to have a negative balance in one trust account and positive balance in another trust account.
Take the following steps to find transactions that result in a negative trust balance on the Client Trust Ledger:
- Click Reports, and select Client, and Trust Ledger... to open the Client Trust Ledger window.
- Enter a matter number in the Matter box or leave it blank to run the report for all matters.
- Enter a client number in the Client box or leave it blank to run the report for all clients.
- Enter a lawyer nickname in the Resp Lawyer box or leave it blank to run the report for all lawyers.
- Enter a date in the End Date box to show transactions on or before that date.
NOTE: Enter 12/31/2199 in the End Date box to run the report for all dates.
- Enter an account number in the Acct box or leave it blank to run the report for all trust accounts.
- Click to check the Negative Balances Only box.
- Select Default from the Layout drop-down.
- Select Output options.
- Select either of the following Sort By options:
- Date - sorts transactions by the check (cheque) or receipt date
- Entry # - sorts transactions by their PCLaw entry number