Entering G/L Opening Balances
Take the following steps to enter G/L opening balances:
- Select G/L Opening Balances from the Tools drop-down menu.
NOTE: You can only use the G/L Opening Balances option prior to closing your first month in PCLaw. After you close your first month, this option is no longer available on the Tools drop-down menu.
- Enter a reference number for the adjustment in the Reference box.
- Enter the account nickname, each on a separate line, in the G/L Account column.
NOTE: You can double-click on the G/L Account line to open the Pop Up Help- G/L Accounts window.
- Enter an amount in the Debit column on the line for each matter with a debit balance.
- Enter an amount in the Credit column on the line for each matter with a credit balance.
- Click Print to print a General Journal report that reflects the opening balances.
- Click OK to save the adjustment.
NOTE: The total number of debits you enter must equal the total number of credits you entered. Contact your firm's Accountant or Book Keeper for more information on which accounts to debit or credit.