Sharing Files and Folders
Consult a qualified technician to complete the suggested changes. Please contact Customer Support if you or your technician has questions or concerns about the information on this page.
You can share files from their current locations without copying the files to another location. You can also select the user that you share files with regardless of whether they use your computer or another computer on the network.
Take the following steps to share files and folders in Windows Vista:
- Right-click on the files or folders that you want to share and click Share.
- Enter the name of the user or group that you want to share files or folders with in the File Sharing field and click Add.
- Click the Permission Level drop-down list and select one of the following options:
- Select Reader to restrict the user or group to viewing files in the shared folder.
- Select Contributor to allow the user or group to view all files, add files, and change or delete the files that they add.
NOTE: This option is unavailable when sharing files.
- Select Co-owner to allow the user or group to view, change, add, and delete files in the shared folder.
- Click Share to share the files or folders.
NOTE: Enter the password or provide confirmation if a screen prompts you for an administrator password or confirmation.