Creating New Matters
The PCLaw program provides several New Matter options on the New Matter window. The following New Matter window fields are mandatory:
- Matter Nickname
- Client Nickname
- Last name or company name
- Responsible Lawyer
- Date Opened
- Type of Law
Take the following steps to use the New Matter window:
- Click File and select Matter.
- Select New Matter.
- Use the Last Matter box to view the nickname of the last matter created.
- Enter a nickname in the Matter box or accept the next incremental nickname.
NOTE: The maximum length for matter nicknames is 12 characters.
- Enter a nickname in the Client box.
- Click Open From... to populate new matter fields using information from an existing client, contact, or vendor.
- Enter a law type in the Type of Law box.
- Enter a task code in the Default Task box or leave it blank.
- Enter a rate in the Default Rate box or leave it blank to use default lawyer rates.
- Enter a code in the Dept. box to set a department code or leave it blank.
- Select one of the following options from the Referral Type drop-down list:
- Contacts - click to select from a list of contacts
- Referral Sources - click to select a predefined source
- Other - click to select a non-predefined source
- N/A - click to select if there is no referral type
- Enter a matter description in the Description box.
- Enter a date in the Opened box to set the open date for this matter.
- Enter a lawyer in the Client Intro. box to set the Client Introducing Lawyer or leave it blank.
- Enter a lawyer in the Matter Intro. box to set the Matter Introducing Lawyer and allocated percentages or leave it blank.
- Enter a lawyer in the Responsible Lawyer box to set the Responsible Lawyer.
- Enter a lawyer in the Assigned box to set the Assigned Lawyer or leave it blank.
- Enter a username in the Other Staff box to associate a staff member or leave it blank.
- Enter Client Information.
- Select New Matter Defaults options.
- Run a Conflict Search.
- Click New to create your new matter and open another New Matter window.
- Click Next to create your new matter and open it in the Matter Manager.
- Click OK to create your new matter and close the New Matter window.