Client Costs Journal Overview
The Client Costs Journal lists all expenses that the firm incurs on behalf of their clients. Expenses that you allocate to matters appear on the report, regardless of how you enter it into PCLaw. The report does not differentiate between unbilled and billed items or hard and soft costs. You can filter the entries on the report by date, G/L account, and source journal. Entries on the report appear as expense recoveries, general check (cheque) allocations, or Accounts Payable allocations.
You can run the Client Costs Journal for some of the following purposes:
- Finding all Client Expenses that You Enter Through Accounts Payable for a G/L Account
- Finding all Expense Recovery Entries for a Matter
- Summarizing all Expenses by Responsible Lawyer
- Finding Client Expenses with a Specific Explanation Code
Take the following steps to run the Client Costs Journal:
- Click Reports, select Journal, and Client Costs. to open the Client Costs Journal window.
- Enter a matter number in the Matter box or leave it blank to run the report for all matters.
- Enter a reference number or check number in the Ref# box or leave it blank to include all general checks and expense recoveries.
- Enter a G/L account number in the G/L Account box or leave it blank to run the report for all G/L accounts.
- Enter a date in the Start Date box to show entries on or after that date.
- Enter a date in the End Date box to show entries on or before that date.
NOTE: Enter 1/1/1982 in the Start Date box and 12/31/2199 in the End Date box to run the report for all dates.
- Select Output options.
- Use the Matters, Other, and Layout tabs to select additional report options.
NOTE: Click Load Last to load the report selections as they appear on the last Client Costs Journal.
- Click OK to generate the report.