Moving the PCLaw Database to a New Server
Take the following steps to move your PCLaw® data to a new server or host computer:
- Create a backup of your data outside the PCLaw program.
- Create a backup of your PCLawDocs folder.
NOTE: Your PCLawDocs folder may or may not be in the Data folder.
- Disable the Document Manager if you use the feature.
- Close the PCLaw software on all workstations by pressing Ctrl + Alt + Delete on your keyboard to open the Windows Task Manager window.
- Click the Processes tab to ensure that the following processes are not running in the background:
- Create the directory structure for the folders that you want to transfer on the new server.
NOTE: You do not need to create new Data, Common, or PCLawDocs directories because the transfer moves these directories.
- Copy the Data, Common, and PCLawDocs folders to the new server.
- Open the Common folder.
- Open the Install folder.
- Double-click setup.exe to install the PCLaw software on the new server or host computer.
- Edit the PCLaw.cfg file on each client computer to point to the new server or host computer if the name or mapped drive letter for the server or host computer is different.
- Enable the Document Manager if you want to use the feature.
NOTE: If any of the above processes are running, left-click to highlight the process, then click End Process on the bottom right corner of the Task Manager window.