General Check (Cheque)
- Posting a General Check
- Writing a General Check to Pay Off a Credit Card Invoice with Multiple Allocations
- Correcting a General Check
- Select Check from the Data Entry / General Bank drop-down menu.
- Select the bank account from the Acct box in the Check section.
- Accept or change the check number in the Check box.
- Enter the payee's name in the To box.
- Select the date in the Date box.
- Enter the amount in the Amount box.
- Select the GST category in the Pay GST box.
NOTE: This step is only for firms collecting GST. The Pay GST box is visible only if the Charge Goods and Services option is enabled on the Options / System Settings / Tax tab. The GST amount is calculated automatically in the GST box.
- Select an explanation code or enter an extended explanation in the Explanation box.
- Enter allocations for the check:
- Enter a matter nickname in the Matter column in the Allocation section to allocate a portion of the check to a matter or leave the matter box blank to create a firm allocation.
- Accept or change the default GST category for each allocation in the GST column.
NOTE: This step is only for firms collecting GST.
- Select an explanation code in the Expl. Code column or enter a detailed explanation in the Explanation box.
- Enter the amount of the allocation in the Amount column.
- Accept or change the default G/L account in the G/L Account column.
- Repeat this process until the Unallocated box reads 0.00.
- Click the Print button to print the check and open the Additional Receipt Information window.
- Click OK to save the entry and post it.
Follow the instructions for creating a General Check and allocate as appropriate.
The total allocations must equal the amount entered in the check section of the window (minus GST, if applicable). If there are personal charges on the credit card statement, enter the amount in the Allocation section and use a G/L account such as Drawings (for partners) or Employee Loans (for employees). If you are using Accounts Payable you can enter each charge from your statement as a separate AP invoice and then pay all the invoices through Process Payables.
- Select Register from the Data Entry drop-down menu to open the Register window.
- Click the General tab.
- Enter the account number in the Acct box.
- Change the start and end dates in the Start Date and End Date fields to the date of the check.
- Enter the check number in the Che # box.
- Click Select to display a list of checks.
- Double-click on the check to open the Correct-General Check window.
- Make any necessary corrections and click OK.