The Client Ledger - Overview
The Client Ledger is PCLaw's core client report. It lists transactions by matter, including opening balances, disbursements, time and fees, billing, and payments. All accounting history pertaining to the matter is on the Client Ledger. You can run the report for a single matter, client, Responsible Lawyer, or a specific period.
You can run the report for some of the following reasons:
- Finding Matter Totals and Matter Accounting Information
- Finding Client Totals and Client Accounting Information
- Finding Matters with a General Retainer Balance
Take the following steps to run the Client Ledger:
- Click Reports, select Client, and Ledger... to open the Client Ledger window.
- Enter a matter number in the Matter box or leave it blank to run the report for all matters.
- Enter a client number in the Client box or leave it blank to run the report for all clients.
- Enter a lawyer nickname in the Resp Lawyer box or leave it blank to run the report for all lawyers.
- Enter a date in the Start Date box to include entries on or after that date.
- Enter a date in the End Date box to include entries on or before that date.
NOTE: Enter 1/1/1982 in the Start Date box and 12/31/2199 in the End Date box to run the report for all dates.
- Click to check the Totals Only box to only show matter totals or uncheck it to show each entry on the report.
- Click to check the Firm Totals Only box to only show the firm totals or uncheck it to show each entry on the report.
NOTE: The report can take an extremely long time to generate if you do not narrow the report to a specific matter, client, or lawyer, or you do not select Firm Totals Only.
- Select Default from the Layout drop-down.
- Use the Matters and Other tabs to select additional report options.
- Select Output options.
NOTE: Click Load Last to load the report selections as they appear on the last Client Ledger.
- Click OK to generate the report.